Forum — Aerial Robotic Systems

15Aug18  It seems to me that Tesla, along with other electric car manufacturers, were sucked into the field by the romance of the idea.  For sure, replacing the polluting internal combustion engine with clean electric power is an attractive, and a worthy challenge.  And no doubt it will be met, some day.  But for now, I’ve got questions.  One has to do with the pollutants emitted to produce those fuel cells.  My guess is we’re moving in the right direction but may have missed a step or two.  Batteries may be the answer, but not today’s batteries.

Let’s take today’s UAV.  It is powered by batteries; very special and very expensive batteries, but, batteries that spend their power within minutes.  Thus, greatly limiting their uses.  So why did UAV designers decide to use batteries to power their aircraft?  Operationally they’re very fast.  They respond quickly to operator commands as well as changing flight conditions like sudden wind gusts.  And they’re quiet.  But as the National Institute of Science and Technology has stated, today’s drones just don’t lift enough nor fly long enough.  In fact, they sponsored a contest recently seeking designs to overcome these shortcomings.

With today’s battery technology, increasing power means increasing weight, and increasing battery weight means decreasing payload and/or flight duration.  So, you can see where that conundrum is going.  Without new battery technology, nowhere.  To be sure, there are plenty of missions which require only minutes to accomplish and payloads of only a pound or two.  But given the ability to fly extended missions and/or to lift heavier payloads, well, I think the saying is, “the sky’s the limit.”

Enter Aerial Robotic Systems.  ARS doesn’t import drone kits and assemble them in the US.  ARS designs and manufactures all their UAVs in the US.  And here’s the thing; their models can lift more and fly longer; like lift 60 pounds, like fly for four hours!  You create the mission.  ARS creates the bird!  Want to learn more?  Just let us know.  www.aerialroboticsystems.com

20AUG18  I heard from an old acquaintance recently.  He has been 23 years with a well known US / International firm.  He asked for a meeting at our Lewistown HQ, but declined to discuss the matter on the phone.  Of course, I’m always glad to hear from old friends. [We were in Dubai together when few foreigners even knew there was such a place.]  So, we met, talked about old times and eventually got to the point of his visit.  Turns out this huge firm thinks our FLEX UAV might be just the ticket for a need at one or more of their international sites. What’s more, they may be interested in licensing our intellectual property to produce their own UAV. 

Carl LewisComment